All of us can find ourselves caught off guard by slick winter roads—whether due to rain, wet leaves, ice or snow. Be prepared with this quick checklist.
- Properly inflate tires and make sure there’s ample tread.
- Put chains on tires where needed.
- Make sure your cold-weather emergency kit is stocked and in the car.
- Charge your telephone (and put a spare charger in the car).
- Plan your route to avoid confused driving, sharp turns, and short stops.
- Leave early enough so you can drive safely.
- Make sure someone knows where you’re going, when you expect to arrive, and when you will be home.
- Have your insurance card and ID with you.
With these steps, you will increase your ability to deal with winter roads. But make sure you have up-to-date collision insurance in place, just in case an accident happens.